One of the best things about having a three-year-old is the constant entertainment he provides. Some of the funniest things I have ever heard, have come out of my son's mouth.
Today I'd like to share a recent conversation that I was witness to. It was early in the morning, not yet time to get up, and I overheard Jack talking to one of his stuffed animals, possibly a bird. It went something like this:
“You’re not a duck. No, I’m not a duck. So, you don’t have a beak. I do, actually. No, that’s not a beak. Yes, it is. No, it's not. Yes, it is. YOU don’t have a beak. I do. Don’t. DO. Don’t. DO-don’t-DO-don’t-DO-don’t-DO-don’t-DO-don’t-DO-don’t..... Yes, I do.”
He was immediately quiet again. I think he'd fallen back to sleep. I couldn't stop laughing. I had to get up and write it all down. Kids say the funniest things, especially when they think we're not listening.
And now, in honour of St. Valentine's Day, here are some kids' thoughts on love:
- "Love is when Mommy sees Daddy on the toilet and she doesn't think it's gross."
- "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
- "Love is when you go out to eat and give somebody most of your French fries without making them give you any of theirs."
- "Love is when my mommy makes coffee for my daddy and she takes a sip before giving it to him, to make sure the taste is OK."
- "Love is when you kiss all the time. Then when you get tired of kissing, you still want to be together and you talk more. My Mommy and Daddy are like that. They look gross when they kiss."
- "Love is what's in the room with you at Christmas if you stop opening presents and listen."
- "Love is when Mommy gives Daddy the best piece of chicken."
- "Love is when Mommy sees Daddy smelly and sweaty and still says he is handsomer than Robert Redford."
Happy Valentine's Day!