Prompt: Comfort food at it's finest. Share a family favorite recipe you loved as a child.
I don't know how much 'writing' is involved in this week's prompt, but after reading it I immediately thought of a recipe that I wanted to share with you all. My mother's broccoli cheese soup always made me feel cozy and warm on a cold day. I know it's spring and probably warm where most of you are, but today in Coldland it is cloudy, windy and a little chilly. The perfect day for mom's soothing soup!
Cheddar Cheese Potage
By: Cookie's Mom's Mama
A very cheesy and delicious soup. Mince the onions very finely if serving to kids. They'll LOVE it!
Total Preparation Time: less than 15 minutes
Actual Cooking Time: 15 to 30 minutes
Number of Servings: 4-6
Special Features: quick to prepare (under 30 minutes), kids love it, can be made ahead
- 1/2 bunch Broccoli
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 1/4 cup Onion, chopped
- 4 tsp Chicken bouillon
- 3 tablespoons Flour
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Dry mustard
- 2 cups Milk
- 2 cups Water
- 2 cups Shredded cheddar cheese
- Steam (cook) broccoli and set aside.
- Melt butter (or substitute oil) in large pan. Saute onions.
- Combine dry ingredients in mixing bowl. Gradually add and blend in milk and water.
- Add to pot and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until soup boils and thickens.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese to melt. Stir in broccoli and serve. Garnish with a spoonful of grated cheese.
You can even use skim milk (or other milk such as rice or almond) to reduce the fat in this recipe, since it's so rich and cheesy! If you want to replace the chicken bouillon, use 2 cups of chicken stock instead of the water, and salt to taste.
Serve with crusty rolls and butter. Mmm.... soothing and delicious!